Friday, May 6, 2011

It's not dessert, but it will have to do.

This is really good granola.  It's very easy, as long as you don't let it burn--that's my issue, though.  You are probably more competent and less distractible than I.

Mix:
4-6 C rolled oats
1-2 C sliced almonds
1/2-1 C:  raw sunflower seeds, other nuts, pumpkin seeds and/or unsweetened grated coconut (not shredded, unless you like coconut in your teeth.  I do not.
1/2-1 C brown sugar, and/or honey, maple syrup, other sweet stuff, your choice
pinch of salt
cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, as you wish
1/2 c oil, I use coconut oil or canola.  Coconut is better.
1C Orange Juice!!!! this is important!
AND the zest of one orange.  Also important.

I mix this all up in a big bowl, spread it out on 2 cookie sheets, and roast it @ 350 for several 10 minute intervals.  I stir it around every time I check it.  I have to just sit down on the floor and read the paper while it cooks, or I burn it,  It goes from perfect-crunchy-chewy-caramelized to burned black in about one second, so you have to watch it like a hawk.

Dump the hot granola back in the bowl and stir in the dried fruit of your choice (I like currents.)

This is hella good, especially with greek yogurt--preferably full fat--and sliced fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment