Friday, July 9, 2010

A CRB (Cool Refreshing Beverage)

I worked in my college admissions office one summer.  We used to nag and pester the office manager for breaks, "Pat, it's so hot out. Can we please go get a CRB?"  We thought this was a very clever way to refer to a big gulp.  "No," Pat would snap.  "You'll get nothing and like it!"  I found this phrase to be satisfying and used it in many situations for years, especially when I taught third grade.  I never realized that Pat had plagiarized the line from Caddy Shack until quite recently.  The Man Who Lives in My House and I watched that movie--which has aged really well, by the way.  Watch it sometime after your kids are in bed.

In celebration of the sultry summer weather, I present you with a recipe for a CRB.  Enjoy.

-Fill a pint glass 2/3rds full of crushed ice.
-squeeze a lime wedge
-1/3 C white wine--pinot gris, sauvignon blanc anything dry/citrus-y
-1/3 C Trader Joe's antioxidant triple berry juice or other not-very-sweet reddish purple juice.
-fill the rest with sparkling water.
-a sprig of mint will make it fancy.

I was bashing the 80s in the last post--and here I am providing you with a recipe that has it's roots in ubiquitous California Cooler.  Remember those?  We used to drive across town to this one mini mart that didn't card us to buy them.  Hopefully you will find this adapted for the adult palate.  We drank it with ceviche.

No comments:

Post a Comment