Sunday, April 4, 2010

Food: all the other momblogs do it, so why not?

Last summer several Culinary events came together, resulting in the invention of Zucchiniburgers:

1) We bought some fraction of a free range cow.  The ground beef was really dry because that critter was wandering up and down some mountains or training for a 5k.

2)  I succumbed to the temptation to plant several zucchini vines.  They're so reliable!  It's so nice to come into the kitchen with a basket full of produce we actually grew! Except no one, not even our neighbors,  really likes zucchini.

3.  So I made a lot of zucchini bread, which is quite palatable if you add chocolate chips.  It occurred to me that the moistening properties of  the zucchini might transfer to our nasty dry hamburger meat.  And it would use up some of the zucchini surplus.  So here's what you do:

Grate a zucchini into a large bowl.  Add an egg.  Grate an onion in there if you feel like it.  Add about 2x as much lean ground beef (or turkey, or a combo).  Salt, pepper, worcestershire, whatever you usually put in hamburgers.  Mix it all up.  If it is really wet, add breadcrumbs until it binds.  Shape into patties, grill as usual.  Don't tell your kids and they won't notice.  

2 comments:

  1. This recipes sounds delightful. I love sneaking in the veggies where I can. I'm glad I'm not the only one that adds Worcestershire sauce to beef. I think it compliments it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete