Tuesday, August 10, 2010

very old friends

When we were very young friends....20 years ago...in college.... we were roommates. Let's call her the Force of Nature.  Like a Tornado, or a tsunami.  I mean that in a good way.  Her sheets had dinosaurs.  Mine were floral.  Her poster was star wars.  I had a faux Monet.  She frequently stayed up until 4 in the morning, studying Japanese and serving as an unpaid therapist to various guys who needed to "talk." In the morning she would hit the snooze about fifty times before she dragged herself out of bed, swearing about being late for the language lab.  Since i tend to be irritatingly cheerful in the morning,  I would sometimes accompany The Force to breakfast in the dining hall just for fun.  I would have eggs and salsa.  I think she had a bowl of Surly-O's. And black coffee.


I was an English major, so none of my classes started before 10 a.m.  Instead of studying, I just read myself to sleep every night--passing out around 10.  I like a good 7 or 8 or 12 hours of sleep.  Plus a nap in the afternoon if possible.  My nickname was ten o'clock Kate.  We were the worst possible combination of lifestyle preferences for roommate-dom, but after surviving one another for a year,  we're stuck with each other for life. 

At the beginning of this summer,  I ran off to the Bay Area for the Force's bachelorette party.  She is going to marry a lovely man who knows how to make duck confit.  Score!  It was an ideal mix of chi-chi shopping, food, wine, dancing in an African bar in the Mission, more beverages in the Gold Dust bar (I stayed up 'til 2 in the morning!), a drive through Napa with breaks for wine and picnicking,  and the finale of a clothing optional hot spring spa.  That's quite a run on sentence.  Appropriate--it was quite a run-on weekend.


There were many best parts, but the one that really stands out is that The Force has many similarly powerful friends, who did all the (flawless) planning and organizing.  It was like being in the company of goddesses.  It would be cool if they formed a junta and took over the world. We'd all be better off.  I'm hoping for a cabinet post as official blogger.
The cat who once kept me up all night.          Two Goddesses.
Wine tasting in Napa.               The bride. She's so demure.



No comments:

Post a Comment